Saturday, December 13, 2008

How To Make Bread

My family loves this bread recipe that I got from my friend Sylwia Hardman. So I am going to show you exactly how I make it! First you make THE SPONGE. 4 1/2 teaspoons yeast and 3/4 cup warm water. Stir, then add 1 cup wheat flour. Let sit for 45 min.




Then you mix the dough. Add to the sponge: 2 1/2 cups warm water, 2 cups whole wheat flour. Mix. Add 1/2 cup wheat gluten, 2 1/2 tablespoons oil, 1/3 cup honey and 1 1/2 tablespoon salt. Mix and slowly add: 2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups white flour. I mix it in my Kitchenaid with the dough hook for not more than 5 minutes.



Put the ball of dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. I put mine in a warm oven with a bowl of hot water. I heard that is good to do, but I don't know why. Then take it out, punch it down, divide into two balls. Roll out, roll up, put in loaf pan and bake 30 minutes at 325. Easy Peasy.





Stay tuned till next time when I teach you how to make my famous and delicious GRANOLA! Who says I have too much time on my hands?!

2 comments:

Monica said...

I love it! You are amazing photographer and could easily photograph for cook books, not that you need anything else to do in your life. You are a woman of many talents! The bread looks yummy! I'm making bread in the morning!

Sylwia said...

i dont punch my bread down after it rises! it actually rises in the pans, in 4 pans, in a warm oven but not with hot water.

and then i just turn up the heat to 325 and it bakes. you may want to try it once this way.