Thursday, March 12, 2009

Country Life

Tonight our family planted lots of tomato and pepper seeds. They are sitting on a shelf in the window for now. It will be months before it will be warm enough to trust Mother Nature not to freeze them to death. I am looking forward to planting my garden. It's one of the many things I love about living in the country. Another thing I love? Signs like these.

This one is in front of my daughter's rural Christian school. The whole school has about 120 kids and goes from k-8. There are 10 kids in her class. The school has VERY LITTLE money. Her tuition is $125 per month. They have very few computers and even less playground equipment. And you know what? The kids at this school are not just learning, they are THRIVING. No TV, no sex ed., no government money. Just good 'ol fashioned teaching and learning going on there. When the kids come out of this school and go on to high school they are, almost without exception, ahead of the public schooled kids academically. (And socially, I might add) Gotta love country livin'!

2 comments:

Sylwia said...

wow that's a very inexpensive private school. i wish they had one like that here...

Monica said...

Wow Katie! I always knew your kids would get the best education!
Darn I was hoping Laurisa would go to BYU so she would meet Landon. She was accepted but she has chosen to take her full ride scholarship to ASU!
Your kids are truly amazing---I'm so glad that you have made the best out of living in the country! You can find good in anything!