Monday, October 27, 2008

A Pain In The...Side!



Friday morning I decided I really needed new turtlenecks. The closest place to shop anywhere other than WalMart (in case you haven't read the beginning of this blog)is 45 minutes away in Terre Haute, IN. So after dropping off Sophie at school I headed that way. While driving I noticed that I had a pain in my side. But mystery pains are nothing new to me, so I ignored it as I always do, unless there is someone nearby to complain to, which there wasn't. Actually, I did get my sister, Saam, on the phone long enough to tell her about it. Anyway, after getting what I needed at Old Navy (nice t-necks for only $15 and good color selection) I decided to walk around the mall just for kicks. I sat in the mall parking lot talking to my other sister Jenny on the phone while unknowingly de-charging my car. By the time we were done talking I had a dead battery and an ALMOST dead appendix. Okay, that was for dramatic effect. It wasn't really almost dead. But it did hurt. So I got some guy to charge my battery and I headed home. I took some Tylenol and got a nap. I felt okay by the time I got up. I got the kids from school and we made a plan to go see High School Musical III. Sidenote: My kids want me to say that they SO did not want to see that movie and that it is way uncool and that I forced them. Fine. I said it. But why don't you just ask them who paid for their OWN tickets, HHHMMMMM??????? Joe went to the movies with us, but as usual had to go to the ER before it even started. We only had one car with us and he didn't want to disturb my movie so he just asked a total stranger for a ride to the hospital. You can do that around here. He ended up doing 2 appendectomies. Mine should have been the third. I went to the ER after calling him in the OR and saying that I had appendicitis. He said he would meet me there when he was done. Well, he finally did...at 2:00 AM!!! Sheesh! I was ready to go by then and we told the ER that I would come back later if the pain got worse. Funny thing is, it never got worse. But Joe made me go back the next day because it never got better, either. To make a long story just slightly shorter, his partner Fred got to do the honors. I had my appendix removed. The best part of the story is that while wheeling me into the OR after being heavily sedated I asked if I was going to get a tattoo. The staff asked what I wanted and I said "One that says I Love Joe. And a flower on my hand." Sure enough, when I woke up I was surprised to see a flower tattoo on my left hand and a butterfly tattoo around my right wrist. But you should have seen my face when I saw this on my lower belly! I had no recollection of my request.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!!!!! I love it. But mostly I'm glad you're feeling better.

Katie said...

Thanks.

Monica said...

I remember you saying you didn't have anything exciting to write about if you had a blog! So did you stage this so you would have the best story of the year! Well you win!
I'm so sorry about your appendix. That is so not fun! We are all too familiar with appendix stories around hear with what happenened to Jake. We were in the hospital a month because we let it rupture!
I love nurses and surgeons with a sense of humor. The tatoos made me laugh!
I love feeling connected with you with your blog but you don't have to keep going at this pace.
Wish I were there to bring you a treat in the hospital. Hope they are taking good care of you---and hope your family is spoiling you! You DESERVE it!

Staci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Staci said...

Cute blog, cute tattoos and not so cute appendix! Why do we need those anyway, they seem to just add pain! I hope you are feeling better- you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Sylwia said...

that is so funny about the tattoos!! sorry about your appendix!

Anonymous said...

Just TOO hilarious, Katie!

John wanted me to send you flowers but I told him you wouldn't want them... was I wrong? LOL

Then I forgot to do it... sorry.

Love the belly tattoo - whoever did that one was really quite talented! Not nearly as talented as you are, telling your story though. :-)